Monday, August 19, 2013

Guest Blogger: Is It Just Me?

                                                         By Sophie Kalish
                                           (12-year-old daughter of David Kalish)

Everyday I have to deal with the two same things. My dad, and his best friend MacBook. I can’t exactly communicate with him. Asking him a question is easy. But getting an answer is not. He’s so focused on his work. His eyes are fixed on the screen. If I ask him a question he just stares blankly at his computer, as if I were saying a statement that didn't sound right. It’s like he's hypnotized.

But my MacBook "is not just a computer; it's my life," he tells me. So I guess I can’t complain. My point is, my dad is a writer. And that’s what all writers do. I figured out how writers think by watching the movies Larry Crowne and Mother. The writers all do the same: think, write, and try to publish. 

Luckily, after thirteen years of trying, my dad finally got a publishing company to agree to publish his first novel. “I thought that once my book was accepted by a publisher, I could just start working on my second novel,” he tells me. “But it’s not like that. I am doing a blog. I have to be active on Facebook. I am Tweeting. I have to organize my book tour. It feels overwhelming, and I hardly have time to work on my second novel,” he says. 

"But on the positive side," he tells me, "I’m connecting with old friends and former co-workers who I haven’t talked to or seen in years. And that’s a good thing. It makes me feel more connected. It makes me feel part of the community."

So he does know what he’s talking about and I understand how it feels to write because I write also. And if a question gets handed over to me while I’m writing, I can’t exactly answer. There's just too many ideas floating in my head. 

4 comments:

Summer Ross said...

Great post and glad to meet you.
~Summer

REBECCA LLOYD said...

and you write very coherently, Sophie. The other thing about writers is that it isn't just when we're sitting in front of our computers that we're doing writing, it also happens when we're shopping or cleaning the house, or gardening because the writing and thinking still goes on in your head. But I think it's healthy to try and switch off completely if you can from time to time and be involved in completely other things for a while.

Unknown said...

Excellent post, Sophie. I must share your post with my sons. They are older than you, but they also experienced times when Mom went AWOL for a time. You are a very understanding young lady.

David Kalish said...

Thank you! I appreciate your response, I'm so glad you you liked my blog and that you understood it.

Sophie K.